Bob Cooks: Lamb Kleftiko
400ml olive oil
100ml red wine vinegar
3 x large pinches rock salt
1 x shoulder of lamb
12 x cloves garlic (smashed in the skins)
2 x red onions sliced
5 x bay leaf Fresh if possible
2 x sticks cinnamon
1 x lemon cut into slices.
6 x tomatoes peeled and diced into 8
Good handful oregano on the stalk
Good handful parsley on the stalk
3 x medium waxy potatoes peeled and diced into 2” cubes
3Ž4 pint water
2 x cucumber peeled, cut into length ways de seeded and cut into
1 x red onion finely diced
6 x plum tomatoes diced into 1inch cubes
2 x blocks feta diced into 1 inch cubes
2 x handful good juicy green olives
Handful picked oregano
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
A good squeeze of lemon
1. Line a heavy roasting tray with a few layers of tin foil making sure it comes up the sides high enough to wrap tightly over the lamb.
Then line this with greaseproof paper doing the same thing.
2. Slice the onions, smash the garlic, dice the tomatoes and stick into a big mixing bowl.
3. Add the olive oil, vinegar, herbs, potatoes and cinnamon. season and mix together.
4. Lay a good base of the ingredients and most of the potatoes into the bottom of the tray.
5. Heavily season the lamb and place it on top, pour the rest of the ingredients over the top of the lamb and cover with the sliced lemons.
6. Add the water and wrap up the lamb in the greaseproof and foil.
7. Bake in a preheated oven @160oc for 4 hours.
8. Remove from the oven and let sit for 20 minutes, turn the oven up to 220oc.
9. Uncover the lamb and crumple the paper and foil around the lamb bake for a further 20 minutes to colour and crisp up the skin.
Serve with a Greek salad, humus and toasted pitta bread.